Skip to main content

Building Twilio phone menus for Audio RPG

This past weekend I built a simple Audio RPG using . You call a number and get injected into a storyline where you have to make decisions on how to procede. For example you might happen upon a NPC and get prompted to try and be friends, run away, or attack. This blog post will outline two methods for creating the prompt and directing the caller as needed.

At the basic level a Twilio phone menu for is TwiML (aka TwiML) that specifies how many digits to gather and where to send those digits for further instructions.


This will gather digits until the caller hits the # key at which point Twilio will make a GET request to process.php including a GET variable of Digits with the value entered by the caller.

One aspect of the Audio RPG that was important to me was that it not require a server and that it should be easy to add story arcs. Originally I started with static TwiML on Gist but quickly ran into issues with Gist delivering the raw TwiML as Content-Type: text/plain. Twilio (correctly) reads that as text instead of parsing it as TwiML and interpreting it as a menu. I ended up getting it to work by using @ Pages which is not quite as easy to use as Gist but provides more power for contributors.

Since the TwiML is going to be static and hosted on GitHub something needs to be done for the logic of the phone menu. Handily Twilio has a labs feature that provides just such functionality.

Simply by building a URL you can have the Twimlet generate the phone menu TwiML automatically. For example the following URL will prompt the caller to make a selection the redirect based on the digit gathered.


Give Audio RPG a try by calling (415) 689-9751

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sync is currently experiencing problems

Update : I now recommend you install Google Chrome  and  disable  the built in Browser as it supports encrypting all synced data. After picking up a gorgeous  Galaxy Nexus yesterday I was running into an issue where my browser data wasn't syncing to the phone. After a little Googling I found this is commonly caused by having all of my synced Chrome data encrypted instead of the default of only encrypting the passwords. These are the steps I went through to get my dat syncing again without losing any of it. The exact error I was getting was "Sync is currently experiencing problems. It will be back shortly." In Google Chrome open the personal stuff settings page by clicking this link or by opening the wrench menu, and click on "signed in with example@gmail.com".  Hit "disconnect your Google Account" to temporarily disable syncing from your browser. Visit the Google Dashboard and "Stop sync and delete data from Google". I waite

A month of Flutter: a look back

Originally published on bendyworks.com . This is it. 31 blog posts in 31 days. Writing  a month of flutter  has been a ton of work but also lots of fun and a good learning experience. I really appreciate how supportive and and positive everyone as been. Publishing experience For the series I've been posting on  bendyworks.com ,  DEV ,  my personal blog , and  Medium . After publishing to these sites, I would put the Bendyworks link on  Twitter ,  Reddit , and the  Flutter Study Group Slack . Posting to DEV was easy as they use Markdown just like the Bendworks blog. DEV also has built in support for a  series of posts  so it's easy to read the entire series. I did have to manually upload any embedded images. DEV also has a number of  liquid tags  for embedding things like GitHub issues that I didn't make as much use of as I should have. Blogger is rich text so it was easy to copy/paste the rendered posts. This would hotlink all the images though so I had to rem

A month of Flutter: the real hero animation

Originally published on bendyworks.com . For the last post before the month's wrap up tomorrow, I wanted to do something more fun: use a  hero animation between the home page list and the individual post page. When I first implemented the  Hero  animation it never worked going back from a  PostPage  to the  HomePage . The reason was that  HomePage  would get rerendered and that would  generate new fake posts . So I moved the fake data generation up a level to  MyApp  and pass it into  HomePage . This is more realistic as going to the  HomePage  shouldn't request the  Post s every time. HomePage ( title: 'Birb' , posts: _loadPosts ( context ), ) The  PostPage  implementation is a simple  StatelessWidget  that takes  Post  and renders a  PostItem . This will become more complex as things like comments and likes are implemented but works for now. class PostPage extends StatelessWidget { const PostPage ({ Key key , @required this